Tank and fender repair place in US

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Allan Atherton

Tank and fender repair place in US

Post by Allan Atherton »

It is possible to get very good metal restoration done. I just had the tank and fenders repaired on my R27 basket case. The original tank was rusted open, so I gave the shop another tank which had a dent on the side. The fenders were perforated with rust but I could not find better ones. The shop was able to pull out the dent in the tank without filling the screw holes, and was also able to fill the rust holes in the fenders with metal brazing. I provided the shop with the rusted tank as an example of the factory pinstriping. The shop painted and striped the tank and the fenders much better than the factory did, using catalyzed urethane paint, and the total bill was $730. For comparison, used R27 rear fenders alone can cost 1/2 this much if you can find them, and a new painted and striped R27 tank is over $1200. Speed's Cycle in Maryland (US) quoted me $700 for painting only, not including bodywork, and Motorrad of St Louis in Missouri (US) quoted me $1200-$1500 for bodywork and painting. My work was done in Louisville where I live, by Taylors House of Color. It is not a motorcycle shop, but does painting and pinstriping for autos, trucks, boats and motorcycles. Bob Taylor is truly a gifted artist with a striping brush.
Taylors House of Color
514 Dakota Ave
Louisville, KY 40209-1143 USA
Bob Taylor
502-361-7751
800-590-7751
502-361-7784 Fax
staff@taylorshouseofcolor.com
http://www.taylorshouseofcolor.com/welcome.html