BMW motorcycles

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Mark Huggett

BMW motorcycles

Post by Mark Huggett »

Just a quick introduction! My name is Derek Marsden and I live in the Province of Gauteng, South Africa.My current BMW's are R25/3 which is fully restored, a R27 that runs but is in need of work, a R50/2 fully running and on the road, a R50US which is my current restoration project and is about 70 % complete and finally a R51/3 which runs but is next on the list for a complete restoration.

Can you offer a good metod for setting the timing on my R25/3. The method I have used is as follows_
Set flywheel in direction of engine rotation to full advance, open the weights on the advance /retard mechanism and set the points to just open. This obviously represents a static adjustment.

If you have any comments or better methods please advise.

Best regards

Derek

E-mail address : marsden@yebo.co.za
Mark Huggett

Re: BMW motorcycles

Post by Mark Huggett »

Howzit Derek,

Nice collection you got there! The other old mate of mine in Joburg with an R25/3 is Colin Wilson. Do you know him? Hes also a member of the VMC. Re timing, try setting it with a stroboscope. If you don't have a 6 volt stroboscope, attach a 12 stroboscope to any 12 volt battery, and the HT sensor cable clips onto the sparkplug cable of the R25/3. Put a blob of tippex on the flywheel marking so that it shows up, and you're away.

Hope that enough detail for you.

Best regards,

Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH