Bread Loaf seat

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Pierre Michaud

Bread Loaf seat

Post by Pierre Michaud »

Mark,

Is it correct or propper to have a breadloaf seat on an R69S, 1968?. Also I have noticed on some pictures that some R60's have a support brace between the rear Denfeld bench seat brackets and the fender brace on each side. Should my R69S have one or is my fender more sturdy? I have also seen support braces for the luggage/breadloaf combo. Finally, if I install a luggage carrier where does the bottom hole of the centre bracket fit.....in one of the 2 holes of the shock absorber tower bracket or do I have to drill another hole in the latter?
Mark Huggett

Re: Bread Loaf seat

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hello Pierre

The Schorsch Meier “Rennbrötchen” was an original accessory for the R68 and R69. With the launch of the R69S in September 1959, the “Rennbrötchen” was no longer offered by BMW as an accessory. However, as there is no difference what so ever in the rolling chassis between the R69 and R69S (lets ignore all those minute changes!) I personally see no reason why it shoud not be mounted on any of the /2 models. We supply the Schorsch Meier “Rennbrötchen” to BMW AG in Münich, so you can actually order it from any official BMW dealer. We still use the old part numbers namely:
52 53 7 002 032 Seat
52 53 7 002 175 RHS Mounts
52 53 7 002 174 LHS Mounts

You can order these parts from your official BMW dealer under the following numbers:
52 53 7 002 032 Seat
52 53 7 002 174 Front mounts
52 53 7 002 144 Rear Mounts

Regarding the additional rear brace question, this is a brace between the underside of the extra-wide US version of the Denfeld bench and the shock holders on the frame. This was used on all /2 models which were fitted with the extra-wide US Denfeld bench. Denfeld no longer make this bench though they do supply us with new covers. Needless to say, the braces are also no longer obtainable.

The lower hole of the carrier brace lines up with one of the two holes in the shock absorber tower. No holes must be drilled (unless some one welded them close!)

Best regards,

Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH