/2 Fender Rustproofing tip

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Allan Atherton

/2 Fender Rustproofing tip

Post by Allan Atherton »

When you have your pre-1970 fenders painted, particularly if they were very rusty, you might want to rust-proof them before reinstalling them. The fenders have rolled edges and the underside has many reinforcing plates that are spot welded and may be curled up from the pressure of old rust. These places are just waiting to receive more moisture and continue rusting. Paint alone would will not reach into and seal these places. Therefore I used toothpicks to fill every edge, crevice and gap of the fenders with flowing beads of liquid epoxy. Then I masked the topsides and applied spray paint to the undersides.
Pierre Michaud

Re: /2 Fender Rustproofing tip

Post by Pierre Michaud »

Allan,

Actually, TREMCLAD and or any quality rust proofing paint will, after scraping the loose rust with a wire brush (including the exposed nicks and cranies between the metal reinforcing plates) do the job just as well. The rust paint has the advantage of neutralizing any surface rust that is not visible in these openings.
Pierre Michaud

Post by Pierre Michaud »

Allan,

Actually, TREMCLAD and or any quality rust proofing paint will, after scraping the loose rust with a wire brush (including the exposed nicks and cranies between the metal reinforcing plates) do the job just as well. The rust paint has the advantage of neutralizing any surface rust that is not visible in these openings.
Aldrin Anderson

Post by Aldrin Anderson »

A preventive measure to do also is to put a generous amount of grease,using grease gun,inside the
housing of the harness.
Pierre Michaud

Post by Pierre Michaud »

Allan,
I would like to caution you on the type of grease you use. The plastic insulation on both harness and copper wire conductors are made from oil derivatives. Grease, unless its synthetic is also made from oil derivatives. The grease over time may permeate the harness and insulation and cause havoc in your lighting system!