Neutral indicator light.

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
yjr32

Neutral indicator light.

Post by yjr32 »

I am new to the German bikes. I don’t have any literature on these. I am now restoring a BMW R26, 1960 model, with serial No. 366198.

The neutral indicator lamp on the head light is not working properly. Some times it goes on and goes off. I feel there is a defect in the switch that activates this light. When I trace the wiring a wire is led to the rear of gear box where it is fitted with a screw. How can I get to the switch? Have I to separate the engine and gear box?

Thanks
Janardhana Rao.
92pmg

Re: Neutral indicator light.

Post by 92pmg »

Firstly, Janradhana, ensure the fault really does lie in the gearbox. It may seem obvious, but test the bulb and bulb holder in the headlight and that all wiring and connectors are functioning correctly.

If you are certain the gearbox switch requires attention, then yes, the rear cover will need to be removed, but for that you will require the correct service tools. It is not a job to be taken lightly as the flange is a very tight fit on the output shaft, tapered and located with a woodruff key. The nose that fits in the rubber cush drive can be easily damaged too.

I would therefore recommend you locate someone with the correct tools to perform the task for you.

Within the gearbox a brass tongue with a pip on the end is attached to the rear of the neutral light switch. When neutral is selected, the pip touches a matching pip on the gear selector plate, thereby earthing the circuit to actuate the neutral light.

May we assume you have a copy of the workshop manual?

Good luck,

Gerry
yjr32

Post by yjr32 »

Gerry, I am from India and the BMW motor cycles are very rare here. I can’t expect any help or guidance. I have already checked the entire wiring and the connected equipment of neutral light. I am sure the fault lies with the neutral switch located in the gear box only.
I shall attempt this after receiving workshop manual which is already ordered. With out guidance I had to struggle to take out the dynamo armature. I had to get the armature rewound. The dynamo is working perfectly now. I had serviced the CB points and advancing unit. I didn’t have any problem in view of my experience and qualifications.
Thanks a lot.
Janardhana Rao.
92pmg

Post by 92pmg »

Dear Janardhana,
I salute you for managing to carry out so much successful work so far.BMWs seldom need to be taken apart, but when they do need repair they can present seemingly insurmountable difficulties. I can therefore see you might wellhave to make your own special tools, in which case please bear in mind the notes of caution I expressed in my last email. An additional tip is to use plenty of heat when dismantling and assembling the gearbox.The bearings are a fine fit. Take the opportunity to replace any suspect oil seals and the gearbox cover gasket too - use the size printed on each seal when ordering (Mark Huggett will be able to help). You are a brave man to tackle these jobs, so I wish you all success. Gerry
yjr32

Post by yjr32 »

Dear Gerry,

Thank you very much for your compliments. Mine is a do or die situation here because I cannot ask anybody for any suggestions or advise locally. You are very knowledgeable and happen to be the only guide for me.

I have dismantled the gear box duly rigging up a suitable puller to pull out the flange which I noticed, as cautioned by you, is a very tight fit on a tapered shaft with a woodruff key. I managed to remove the rubber cushion drive also without damaging it. I located the neutral light switching tongue, cleaned the contact area, and bent it slightly to increase the contact pressure between the matching pips on brass tongue and the gear selector plate.

At this point, I carefully watched the condition of the bearings and seals as advised by you. I found that the gearbox was being opened for the first time by me and the bearings are noisy. I contacted the FAG Bearing Company and ordered for a complete set of bearings which are expected in about a week’s time. I am confident that I’ll be able to restore it to good condition. I have decided to replace the clutch related parts also and placed an order from Mark Huggett GmbH (bmwbike.com). The spares are expected soon.

I have had a Sunbeam S8 during the late 1950s and I was appreciating the mechanics of a shaft driven Sunbeam. I am for the first time handling a BMW and I am able to realize the superiority of German engineering. I have another question which I am sure you will be able to answer. I read that the only difference between R26 and R27 is that the R27 is mounted on rubber beds to make it vibration free. Is it possible for me to convert the foundations of the R26 to that of the R27? If I can do it, kindly inform what parts will be required and what modifications are to be made.

Incidentally, I have another fast friend by your name. He lives in France. We exchange ideas on motor car repairs. With help and guidance from him, I was able to restore a Citroen DS 21 Pallas from a scrap condition and got it running to a first class condition.

Thank you very much for your help and guidance.

Janardhana Rao
92pmg

Post by 92pmg »

Hi Janardhana,

I am impressed with the work you have done already and take my hat off to you for your perseverance.

I hope you have taken careful note of where the rear bearing shims were located. When replacing the rear cover, ensure the small oil deflector plate on the rear of the mainshaft does not foul the kickstart pinion. I insert a long screwdriver into the hollow shaft to ensure it locates correctly. If the plate was damaged on removal, do be sure it is flat again before reassembly. You'll see what I mean if you study the shaft arrangement in the rear cover.

No, there is no way to conver a R26 into an R27. The frame, crankcase, gearbox casting and all engine mountings are different. Even the horn mounting is different...

The Citroen you renovated is a really nice car and still very stylish. Well done!

Gerry
yjr32

Post by yjr32 »

Hi Gerry,

I have put back the R 26 gear box and I am assembling the engine to day. I haven’t faced any difficult problems. As informed earlier this is the first German motor cycle I am handling. Unfortunately this machine was opened and serviced by some one that is not knowledgeable. This is causing me some unforeseen problems as some parts were fitted in an incorrect position. Still I am getting through. I find the piston is fitted with the → mark pointing backwards. I got a doubt about it and closely observed it. I find ‘Vorn’ stamped next to arrow. I saw the meaning in dictionary it says it means forward. I am putting back in the correct position.

Necessity is the mother of invention. So I have to carefully handle the problems.

Our mails are getting a little too personal and may not be of interest to many of the forum members. So if you agree I can seek some advice through e mails. If agreeable please send me your email ID.

In your spare time pleas have a look at http://www.dsinasia.com/ you can see my story in that. I am from India.

Best wishes,

Janardhana Rao.
Max40

Post by Max40 »

I have today fixed this problem on my R65LS.
The globe was loose in the socket
Some judicious adjustment of the socket and globe where they touch
and the light stays on!!!!!