'83 R65LS

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Max40

'83 R65LS

Post by Max40 »

I have an '83 R65LS in Sydney Australia needing a bit of work.
frame # 6354237R65LS
I would like to get a parts and workshop manual but don't know if any of the ones advertised in the "01.0 BMW literature" page will suit an Australian bike.
They are numbered with (DE) or (GB ) or (FR) which I assume refers to the country of sale.
Can anyone help with how to ID the bike?
slashtwo1960

Re: '83 R65LS

Post by slashtwo1960 »

Hey Max,
just get a book in English and take it from there. Hugget is a good source of parts but there are others so shop around on the net, (stay away from Tom Byrne etc).
There will be only very minor differences in bikes delivered around the world and usually decent manuals will point out what diffs. there are, if any.
Max40

Post by Max40 »

Thanks SLASHTWO
Max40

Post by Max40 »

Just found my note to me re this forum in my notebook, seems like yesterday I wrote that last item. I have found books from Germany and have cleaned up the old girl(maybe not so old compared to some). There was a lot of wire and duct tape holding things together. I would like a LH battery cover and a cover for the fuse holder, but otherwise she is back to regulation. I do enjoy riding my LS at 73. I have just repaired the battery carrier(brazed on a new strap hook) repainted it and put on some new straps, replaced the speedo cable boot to keep the rain out of the gearbox, plugged the Hbar ends and it is now ready for a new rego. My now 4YO grandson wants to see me put the red bit (fuel tank) back on the bike. He rides his (pretend) motorbike all over the place and my daughter berates me regularly for brainwashing him. Must go and get my beauty sleep.