Weak ignition spark, engine does not start

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
adrenalin

Weak ignition spark, engine does not start

Post by adrenalin »

Dear All,

I own a 1952 R51/3 and it rests in my living room. I could not ride my bike for 2 years (I got married :)) and last week I did all the maintenance to give her a ride. I cleaned the sparkplugs, changed the oil, checked the ignigiton timing, fuel filter etc but the engine did not start. I checked the spark with a spare one but there wasnt any. So I replaced the condenser but it did not change anything. I can feel the current when I hold the cable (ouch!) but its not enough for a spark I gues. Is it possible that the magneto rotor lost the magnet power? Is it possible to check it or renew it? I need heeelp... thank you...
Michael Steinmann

Re: Weak ignition spark, engine does not start

Post by Michael Steinmann »

Hi there Adrenalin,
You have exactly the kind & model of machine I have, and exactly the problem I faced a year ago. If you replaced the sparkplug with a new matching one and still nothing happened, and you are 100% sure that the cylinder compression is ok, then it could be that the magneto needs a new wrap. A good workshop will be able to test it and tell you if it is ok or defect. What I had on my bike was a magneto shortcut winding with old crumbling-off epoxy coating from its body. I had to rewind it. It is not cheap, but after it is done, your bike will live another 60 years. Good lock!
Michael Steinmann.
adrenalin

Re: Weak ignition spark, engine does not start

Post by adrenalin »

I guess my coil is ok since I bought it new (or lets say rewinded). I guess there is a magnet in the rotor and maybe it may have lost its power and there is not much chance here in Turkey to go and do a test in a workshop. There used to be some few people around but they just quit the job so I need to solve the problem. The cylinder compression is ok, I am sure and I know that I should see a spark with bare eye.. :)