r50 headlamp switch

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
calvin

r50 headlamp switch

Post by calvin »

4,000 miles ago I restored a 1965 r50. The headlamp switch was always a bit imprecise and sometimes required a good deal of fiddling before it would light the headlamp. At this point it is very unreliable. I feel it is the switch that is the problem. My plan is to disassemble the switch board and reinstall after cleaning. This is a shot in the dark and I would like to hear any and all advice before I start. Thanks to all.
Kurt in S.A.

Re: r50 headlamp switch

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

The key has several nubs on it that push into some slots in the switch. This is what turns the switch to make contacts to turn on the lights. Try the key in the reverse position...maybe the nubs are better on that side.

If you remove the switch from the headlight bucket, be very careful as you have to unbend four tabs on the inside. Bend them only enough to get the switch out. Once bent too much or too many times, they will break off. I've read that using a small flame torch can be used to heat the tab and anneal the metal again. This will add some strength back to the tabs.

Kurt in S.A.