r26 Red light or charge light stays on problem

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
GC70

r26 Red light or charge light stays on problem

Post by GC70 »

Hi R26 owners,
I have a problem with charge light staying on, its Electonic Ignition.
I had ride out a few days ago and the bike broke down as in the engine
slowed down to a stop, when i tried key in ignition no red or green lights.
so i checked fuse in by battery it was a 30amp this was blown, so i tried
a new fuse and the lights went on with key all the way in, but another problem
the red charging light wouldn't go out means no charge to battery.
any ideas to anyone with same fault.?
thanks.
Kurt in S.A.

Re: r26 Red light or charge light stays on problem

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

My /2 electrical book by Doug Rinckes states the following for charge light not going out:

- brushes are not running correctly on commutator; possible worn brushes or springs
- grease on the commutator
- voltage regulator contacts dirty or possibly not working; don't file the points, but run some paper across them
- generator armature has wiring faults

Just to confirm things, what voltage do you measure across the battery terminals with the engine revving to a speed somewhat above idle?

I understand that the original voltage regulators can fail and create many more dollars of problems. If needing to be replaced, probably the best choice should be an electronic regulator. But regulators, either kind, are not cheap!

Kurt in S.A.
GC70

Post by GC70 »

Voltage accross battery termonals is 6.2 volts. Forgot to mention alternator is already fitted with electronic regulator.
thanks
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Well, 6.2 volts obviously shows that the generator is not charging if the engine is running. If it's a new voltage regulator and don't have another to try out, then the problem must lie with the brushes or the armature winding.

Kurt in S.A.
GC70

Post by GC70 »

Thanks a lot for advice about voltage. Do you think that a breakdown in brush contct would have caused the 30amp fuse to have blown in the first ploace?
Thanks
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

I guess I didn't catch that first off...so you have a fuse installed on the input line to the battery? I didn't recall there being any stock fuses on the bikes until you get to the /5 series.

I would think that if the brushes weren't making good contact, then you would get no volts/amps from the generator...how could the fuse blow then? I'm wondering if the fuse blew because of short somewhere along the line from the battery to the generator. The line from the battery + terminal connects to the generator at terminal 30/51.

Kurt in S.A.