1950 R51/2

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Lloyd Griffiths

1950 R51/2

Post by Lloyd Griffiths »

G'day Mark,
I'm currently restoring an R51/2 and have come up against a minor problem. The wiring to the rear tail light is supposed to be mounted externally, however, all the factory photos I've seen have had the wiring air brushed out. Can anyone tell me where the wiring should be mounted, how many mounting points and how is it mounted?
Mark Huggett

Re: 1950 R51/2

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Lloyd.

Well, I had to dig out an old R51/2 mudguard and measure it up for.

Most works photos of the R51/2 are from the RHS, so you don't see the cable. The photos from the LHS have not been touched up. The cable runs a few millimeters above the fine white pin stripe, so it is hardly noticable in an old black and white photo.

Now check this:
draw a line exactly 60mm from the mudguard edge on the whole length of the LHS. Using a flexible tape measure, your mudguard should measure 1360mm along this line from beginning to tail.
Now, measure the center of the holes to be drilled along this line at the following points:
380mm & 57mm from edge
550mm & 65mm from edge
695mm & 65mm from edge
880mm & 65mm from edge
1025mm & 70mm from edge

The holes are in actual fact oval, measuring 4 x 5mm

There are 5 mounting points, using metal clips with a rubber protection bush around the cable.
Unfortunately I don't have a sample.

Hope this has been of some help to you. If you removed the old paint work and blasted the mudguards, you should find the scars of the old holes.

Best regards,

Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH
Lloyd Griffiths

Re: 1950 R51/2

Post by Lloyd Griffiths »

G'day again,

Thanks for the prompt reply and assistance, I am really impressed. Your knowledge of these old Bavarian Money Waters must be unsurpased. Thanks again, you have been a great help.

Lloyd