R26 difficult to start

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Steve

R26 difficult to start

Post by Steve »

Hello, I am having trouble starting my R26, it sometimes takes up to 20 times on the kick start to start it. Can anyone give me advice on how to fine tune my bike so it starts quicker.....thanks
Chen Kalmanovich

Re: R26 difficult to start

Post by Chen Kalmanovich »

Check the battery and the conections.
Allan Atherton

Post by Allan Atherton »

That's a broad question with not much information. Check the basic tune up. Using a timing light, see if the S mark is in the window at idle. See that the battery electrolyte covers the plates and the battery is charged up. Remove the spark plug cap, put a long thin screw into it, and hold it against the head while using the kickstarter, to see if there is a spark. Remove the spark plug to see if it is fouled with gas or oil, dry it or replace it. Clean the carb and blow through the jets. Check the valve adjustment. When starting, tickle the carb only enough to richen it, but not enough to flood it. If gas drips, it could be flooded, so hold the throttle wide open for a few kicks, then almost close it for the next kicks. If the bike has been hard to start and has been kicked excessively for a long time, be sure the kickstart bumper is in good condition. Replace it if needed, as it is important for the protection of the frame of an R26.
itt thailand

Post by itt thailand »

If you do not mine .you can change the ignition system to CDI . It's a lot better.
Jean-Daniel CHAMBAZ

Post by Jean-Daniel CHAMBAZ »

Hallo Steve!
I hope you have found a solution, since you dropped your message.
Once you checked:
- the ventils
- the ignition point, static and dynamic
- the spark plug
- its cap
what is left is the condenser, which can be a cause of misfunction. It is a bit vicious, as I experimented myself, as a defectuous condenser can allow the engine to run, then nothing , then it can run, and so long. Change the condenser, and check your engine start. I hope it will help.
JD