R68 - Throttle Control

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Lloyd Griffiths

R68 - Throttle Control

Post by Lloyd Griffiths »

Dear Mark et al,
In 1954, BMW published a sales brochure showing its full range of bikes. The brochure has a 3/4 overhead shot of an R68 on the front cover. It's the brochure that, about a third of the way though, has that wonderfull shot of an R68 in front of a DC3. The cover photo shows an R68 with a later model throttle control and I'm trying to establish whether the later R68s were delivered with this system. Can anybody shed any light on the matter?
Regards,
Lloyd
Stephen Ascherl

Re: R68 - Throttle Control

Post by Stephen Ascherl »

Lloyd...Mabey Mark or someone else knows, but the photo you refer to shows a throttle casting that while similar to is not EXACTLY the same as the post 1954 casting...it uses two bolts to stabilise the casting on the bar. Also, R68 # 651431, the latest I've ever seen, uses the plunger casting. Finally, a few years ago I ran this same question by Sebastian Gutsch, and I recall him thinking the motorcycle on the brochure was using a prototype or experimental casting...but I really hope someone else knows for sure!
Lloyd griffiths

Re: R68 - Throttle Control

Post by Lloyd griffiths »

Stephen, Thanks for the response. I had noticed the double pinch screw arrangement but didn't want to cloud my attempted description. I agree, the assembly shown in the photo is most likely a prototype... unless someone has a contrary opinion? It would be nice to know one way or the other. Cheers, Lloyd