Timing a R51/3

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Stacey Zabolotney

Timing a R51/3

Post by Stacey Zabolotney »

My bike was running perfect..then it started hesitating on the highway... I think it turned out to be a loose spark plug wire to the coil...

But I thought I'd check and redo my timing...I put the flywheel to the "S" position in the hole, made sure my magneto lined up to the mark (it did) Made sure my points opened to the correct amount (it was fine) Keeping the "S" position on the flywheel, I loosed the 2 screws to the points plate for adjustment, removed the wire from the condensor and coil, and used a Ohmeter to see when the points just would start to open. But with the flywheel in the "S" position, I can't rotate my points plate enough to get the points to open...!!! I am stumped...! What went wrong, am I going crazy? Any help greatly appreciated... Thanks, Stacey
Allan Atherton

Re: Timing a R51/3

Post by Allan Atherton »

The question was cross-posted to the Classic section of the Boxerworks site and discussed there. It appears that your magnet was turned far to one side, and you had turned the body of your magneto to match the magnet.
So you should reset your magnet so its marks are up and down, and then match the magneto body to the magnet. The magneto body will then be horizontal, and not turned to either side. Then you may be able to turn the points plate enough to set your timing.
r c sharma

Re: Timing a R51/3

Post by r c sharma »

rotate the flywheel one full turn and then try with the s mark in the hole