R51/3 cam shaft

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Peter Berry

R51/3 cam shaft

Post by Peter Berry »

On reinstalling the timing gear on the cam shaft the parts book shows a spacer between the gear shoulder and the bearing, Im sure that my 1954 R51/3 did not have this .In the early parts book it is #84 on the motor page and is listed in the parts list with a number, in the 54 parts book it is shown in the picture but not in the list with a part # . I know that my 56 R50 parts book essentially the same engine does not show one and I am wondering if the later R51/3 engines had it . Any insights please if I need one part# and where to order Thanks Peter
Gerry Douglas-Sherwood

Re: R51/3 cam shaft

Post by Gerry Douglas-Sherwood »

The trouble with these engines is that the number and position of spacers used on the cam/ crankshafts changed over the years. Parts books don't always help.

Personally, if I were not sure what to fit I would install the crankshaft then measure the distance between the crancase surface and the crank timing gear to determine where the camshaft should sit and compare that dimension to the distance between the camshaft bearing carrier and the camshaft timing gear, with and without the spacer. It should immediately become obvious if a spacer is required and, if so, how thick that spacer should be.

The post-55 engines did not have such a spacer and to be honest I have never encountered such a spacer on earlier engines.