R60 Throttle Tube/Twist Grip Spring

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Trevor McGuire

R60 Throttle Tube/Twist Grip Spring

Post by Trevor McGuire »

I have recently completed restoring a 1959 R60 (or thought I had) and have read some emails regarding a spring which seems to be located in the throttle twist grip. There was no spring in the twist grip when I purchased the bike and I didn't see a spring shown in the BMW parts manual. I have often wondered why my twist grip is so loose given the tight tolerances elsewhere on the machine. What does this spring do? How is it located? What does it look like? Does it assist the return of the twist grip and throttle cables? Where can I get one? Are there any other parts needed?
Thanks for any help or advice offered.
Allan Atherton

Re: R60 Throttle Tube/Twist Grip Spring

Post by Allan Atherton »

The spring is a sliver of steel at the end of the twistgrip. I think the sliver is attached to the throttle by a little rivet. This spring curls inward to press against the handlebar, which causes friction and resistance to the turning of the throttle. The function of the spring is to prevent the throttle from snapping closed when released. Therefore your hand does not strain to hold the throttle open against the slide return springs in the carburetor.
Trevor McGuire

Post by Trevor McGuire »

Thanks Alan. I often wondered what the little hole in the end of the twist grip tube was for. Is the strip of steel just mild steel or spring steel? Is it formed in a circle or a slight coil? Does the free end finish level with or past the riveted end? If so by how much? Do I detect that the strip extends out past the end of the twist grip tube and sits in the rubber grip? It shouldn't be too hard to make something up and take the pressure off my wrist. Thanks again.
Allan Atherton

Post by Allan Atherton »

I have not looked at any of my throttle grip springs for years - I only see them when working on the bike's throttles. I can't answer the questions.

This is P/N 32 72 2 072 153 "Magura throttle twist grip tube, R26 - R69S " from Huggett. But I don't think the spring is part of it, because in May 2004 Huggett said:
"We are presently tooling up to produce the throttle tube in steel as they originally were for the R26 - R69S series, but... without the spring. The spring is a problem, especially where the road worthy authorities in most countries require a throttle to roll back on it's own. The majority of Europeans cursed them and pulled them out with long nose pliers (including myself) and even Magura discontinued them in 1966 or 1967."
Trevor McGuire

Post by Trevor McGuire »

Allan,

Yet again thank you. I can see a message in Mark's email. Best I leave things as they are and enjoy the ride.

Trev.