Carburetor Synchronizer

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Peter Fougere

Carburetor Synchronizer

Post by Peter Fougere »

Has anyone bought a synchronizer from J C Whitney recently? If so could you email me
the part number. I have contacted Whitney's by email and quoted them the number
88-2792N as seen in Roland Slabons restoration book. The reply I got was that they still
stocked them but the number for a BMW (no specific model) was 06-1307b. Which is
right? And is it worthwhile getting one? Thanks in anticipation, Peter
Allan Atherton

Re: Carburetor Synchronizer

Post by Allan Atherton »

I don't know what kind of synchronizer is in the Slabon book, or what kind Whitney means to sell. I have a mercury column syncronizer for my R100/7 and it won't work on a /2 because the /2 has no vacuum ports. When I had a /2, I used a synhronizer that consisted of a rubber cone that fitted over the intake, with a tube that had a floating ball. The ball rose (actually, bobbed up and down) according to the vacuum in the cone. I forget where I got that /2 synchronizer - maybe from Whitney. Ultimately, I found it more accurate to use tuning pegs, which are spart plug electrode extensions that you short out.
Peter Fougere

Post by Peter Fougere »

Thanks Allan for you reply. The sychronizer featured in Slabons book on page#115 is a
direct-reading. Dial Type, made in Germany but sold by Whitneys.Slabon tells it as being
"an excellent tool that wiil make it child's play".
Jeff L. Yost

Post by Jeff L. Yost »

Greetings Peter!

The manufacturer's part number from Whiney for the Sheleyer Carbureter Synchronizer is 200+H10+18. Whitney's Cataloge Item Number is 88DT279N. These were the numbers when I purchased mine two years ago.

You do not need the #25 adaptor.

I purchased TWO Synchronometers. I also worried about the illusive #25 adaptors. However, the Synchronometer works just fine with the rubber adaptor that is included.

The tapered end fits over the Bing, while the meter remains attached, giving a perfect seal, and lets you work hands free!

My recommendation? Purchase another Synchronometer for easier balancing of your Bings. Besides, two Synchronometers will impress the heck out of your friends.

I wrote a story about the rescuing my dad's R50 from 17 years of storage at
http://www.greatanswers.com/vbmw/yost.htm
This story with photographs is a tribute to my late father and the wonderful BMW boxer.

Good Luck!

Jeffery L. Yost
Walled Lake, (near The Motor City) Michigan
USA
Peter Fougere

Post by Peter Fougere »

Thank you very much Jeff. I will get back to Whitneys with your numbers and order two
as you suggest.Perhaps other members of "Marks followers" would like to read it too, I
can recommend it. Cheers, Peter.
Peter Fougere

Post by Peter Fougere »

Thank you very much Jeff. I will get back to Whitneys with your numbers and order two
as you suggest.I enjoyed reading about your Dad's R50, perhaps other members of "Marks followers" would like to read it too, I
can recommend it. Cheers, Peter.
David Dornbrook

Post by David Dornbrook »

In the Bing catalog, you can get a carb synchronizer mercury type. The price is 34.95. There number is 1-800-309-2464
Ben Friedl

Post by Ben Friedl »

Hi David,

Could you let me know where I may find a copy of the bing carburator book, or give me the ISBN number.

Thanks
Ben