Rustprotection for tank

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Stephan Schneider

Rustprotection for tank

Post by Stephan Schneider »

Mark,

I intend to restore the 'spare' tank that I have have for my R27. Since I'll have to cut out the toolbox anyway, I'll have great access to the inside. After removing any rust inside, I would like to coat the inside with some rust protection. Can you recommend anything? Where to get it? Thanks!

Stephan
Allan Atherton

Re: Rustprotection for tank

Post by Allan Atherton »

I think you should repair the toolbox and then treat the intact tank. The chemicals will do a better job than you can, and the tank needs to be completed for them to work all over the inside. There is a motorcycle tank kit called POR-15 made by POR in New Jersey, USA. It consists of a cleaner to remove rust, varnish and paint, an etcher to prepare the metal, and a sealer. I had already painted my R27 tank when I discovered it had a pinhole leak under a kneepad. The other chemicals would have hurt the paint, so I just rinsed the tank with lacquer thinner and used only the sealer. I don't have the address of POR at hand, but can look it up if you want.
Pierre Michaud

Post by Pierre Michaud »

Stephan,

You might want to try RUSTECO @ www.rusteco.com.
I have never tried it but from the advert it looks good!
Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas »

Stephan,

I agree with Allan regarding the method to use. I used this product with excellent results and I would highly recommend it.
The company is Restomotive Laboratories, and their email address is www.por15.com Their toll-free number is 1-800-457-6716.
The product is called POR-15 and the kit I used had 4 parts: stripper, cleaner, etcher and sealer. It took several epplications
of the first and second products to do the job, but I still have enough left to do another tank. Just follow the directions very
closely.

Regards,

Dave