Sidecar Steib S501

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Gerald Ancia

Sidecar Steib S501

Post by Gerald Ancia »

Dear Mark,

Went back to see the sidecar. It appears that it is a S501 although the name plate has been lost. All other parts are still on the sidecar. I'm close to buy it. However, is this sidecar suitable for a R50. In an old catalog of Steib, they recommend the S500 for 500 CC and up. I also understand that the gear ratios need to be changed ... I'm just afraid that in Vietnam, nobody can do that. Can you also advise me on any other thing that need to be changed on my motorbike to have sidecar?

Once again thank you for your kind help.

Gerald
Allan Atherton

Re: Sidecar Steib S501

Post by Allan Atherton »

I had an R69S with a Ural sidecar. To change a solo bike for sidecar duty, you must change the leading link of the Earles fork to the other pivot hole position or there will be a severe wobble, and you must change the rear drive gears to increase the pulling power. It would also be good to change the tires to flat-treaded Metzler Block K type for better life. On the R69S, I also changed the hydraulic steering damper to friction type. I also changed to heavier springs, but I don't think this is as important as the other changes.