Dnepr sidecar (1992) on a R50 (1959 )

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
karl weiss

Dnepr sidecar (1992) on a R50 (1959 )

Post by karl weiss »

Is it possible ,to put a Dnepr sidecar on a BMW R 50 ? Is the frame of the Drepr fitting together
with the BMW frame??
Allan Atherton

Re: Dnepr sidecar (1992) on a R50 (1959 )

Post by Allan Atherton »

I don't know for sure, but it is very likely that the Dnepr will fit on a pre-1970 BMW with Earles fork, if the Dnepr has all its mounting parts. The fit is partly determined by the sidecar frame, and partly by the struts that attach the frame to the bike.
The older Russion sidecars were designed to fit on the old BMWs by default , and I think they are still made that way today. Those sidecars usually come with struts and fittings designed to clamp onto the Earles fork bike frames. You will need to buy a front motor mount bolt with a special ball, and perhaps a few special bolts and nuts.
For more info you might try the Russion M/C Assoc at narma.org/narma/index.html (add the www), or sidecar.com (add the www). And here is the address of a Dnepr fan who should be able to tell you exactly what you need to know: kjell.wikhede@alfa.telenordia.se
Brock Downey

Post by Brock Downey »

Karl, I installed a Dnepr sidecar from a Cossack. If they are the same, they fit, with a few modifications. You have to have the attaching hardware on the BMW (four point mount). The sidecar likely has an 19" wheel. It needs to be changed to an 18" BMW/2 wheel with a low profile tire on it, to lower the sidecar. The BMW need to be higher by installing Metzler Block K tires. Now the sidecar and bike are a near match. Hook up the sidecar to the bike at three of the four points. The rear ball clamp arm on the sidecar has to be remeasured to line up, so the sidecar can be horizontal and the wheel is alligned properly for correct tracking.

E-mail me if you neen more info. BTW, your R50 will be struggling to push 220lbs. if you do not have proper (low) sidecar gears in the rear drive.

Brock
Brock Downey

Post by Brock Downey »

Karl, my correct E-mail is address is brockd@telusplanet.net

Brock