R60/2 Exhaust Options

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Jacob Bonisch

R60/2 Exhaust Options

Post by Jacob Bonisch »

The purists amoung you will inevitably cringe or roll your eyes at this question...

What are the exhaust options for a 1960 R60/2. I have been a classic bike fan for some time and love the sound of a classic thumping away on a great peice of backroad.

While the R60/2 is a beautiful classic bike I can't help but lust after a little more Italian twin bark to replace its current measured german precision and quite achiever note.

What are my options to open up the note somewhat? Are megaphone type exhausts a viable option or am I heading for top end meltdown.

Would appreciate your thoughts...
Allan Atherton

Re: R60/2 Exhaust Options

Post by Allan Atherton »

The stock chrome steel mufflers are the quietest.

Stainless steel mufflers from EPCO or Overlander (with Overlander internals) are louder.

The straight Swirin-type mufflers are louder still. Swirin has not been in business for many years, but I think a similar type of muffler is still sold by JC Whitney.

The Hoske megaphone mufflers are the loudest of all. They have removable baffles but I don't know how that sounds.

It may help the engine to use the next richer jet with the lower restriction stainless and Swirin-type mufflers. If using the Hoske muffler, I think it is advisable to experiment with much richer jetting, and I have heard of top-end problems from such low restriction. Duane Ausherman, a dealer from the old era, has said that racing mufflers invariably caused top-end problems on his customers' /2 bikes.

I used EPCO stainless mufflers on my R69US for two years, and they had a pleasant bark that was OK until I added an Avonaire fairing. Then the mufflers were too loud.

If you use a muffler louder than a stainless EPCO or Overlander, I think you may be tired of the noise soon.

Jon Kent

Re: R60/2 Exhaust Options

Post by Jon Kent »

I fitted a set of Mark Huggett's Hoske lookalike mufflers-great sound, but have the occasional flat spot on acceleration so will have to give the carb jetting some serious thought-especially as my bike is a hybrid-R69S basically but with R69 5 ring pistons of 7.5-1 c/r. I still am of the oipinion that fitting a system without the crossover pipe might give a bit more of a classic sound to a standard set of the BMW mufflers.