1952 Spezial Steib

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Pierre Michaud

1952 Spezial Steib

Post by Pierre Michaud »

I have an option on a pre 1954 Spezial STEIB S/C that has 19 inch wheels and of course a different hub.
Question: Did Steib do any modifications to the 1952 model to accept 1955-1969, 18 in. wheels with new hub design. If not then I assume all I need to do is get the proper backing plate (I want to add a hydraulic brake system) and just bolt it on to fit my 1968 wheels? Do I need a different swingarm assembly? Did they reposition the fender or was it left as is? Are the braces and attachments proper for a 1968 R69S or were they positioned differently on a 1952 R51/3 due to the different frame configuration? Any help will be grandly appreciated. The wheels that are on the Steib are interchangeable and fit on a 1952 R51/3.
Stephen Ascherl

Re: 1952 Spezial Steib

Post by Stephen Ascherl »

Pierre...I have a 1966 R69S/Steib Spezial from 1954. On mine, an 18" chrome steel rim is mounted to a full hub plunger wheel hub. No brake is used, this so far impossible for me to find. The solo rear swingarm is unchanged. The mounts and braces are the same as for a plunger chassis. If you wish, a conventional post 55 wheel hub can be used...as my car is a 1954, the plunger full hub is "correct". The sidecar fender is unchanged in position from pre 55 to swingarm era.
Pierre Michaud

Re: 1952 Spezial Steib

Post by Pierre Michaud »

Stephen,

Thanks for reply. So what you are saying is that I can take the 1952 Steib Spezial that is mounted on the 1952 R51/3 and fit it to my 1968 R69S like a glove. The car swingarm has a shaft diameter that fits the wheels hub on my R69S!

Stephen,
Thanks for reply. So what you are saying is that I can take the 1952 Steib Spezial that is mounted on the 1952 R51/3 and fit it to my 1968 R69S like a glove. All I really need to do is put 18 in. wheels and the car swingarm has a shaft diameter that fits the wheels hub on my R69S ?