Speedo dial - R68

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Philip Vergison

Speedo dial - R68

Post by Philip Vergison »

The speedometer for the R68 currently undergoing restoration has a kph dial showing speeds up to "160" (i.e. 100 mph).

Given that this was supposedly BMW's first 100mph (160 kph) road bike and remembering that an R 60/2 I owned not too long ago has a 120 mph (200kph?) dial, can someone advise what the figures on the R 68 instrument are correct?

Can the (maximum speed ) gear change points for I, II and III gears shown in blue on the outer edge of the dial be listed too?

Thanks in advance.

PeeVee
Stephen Ascherl

Re: Speedo dial - R68

Post by Stephen Ascherl »

Philip...there is a photo of an original speedometer on the R68 oldtimer german webpage, from a 1954 R68 sold in the USA. I think you can just make out the shift points, but the speedometer is in MPH...SA
Mark Huggett

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Pee Vee,

Think again about having the speedo restored as I believe that you have the incorrect speedo for an R68, and a new speedo may cost less then having an old one repaired. The R68 had a "VEIGEL" speedo and not a VDO. The kph version ranges from 0 to 180kph and has a way speed of 0,95. The original BMW part number is 62 12 8 080 070
Philip Vergison

Post by Philip Vergison »

Thanks for the detailed response Mark. I have since found out that the VDO speedo cannot be fitted with a VIEGEL dial as the odometer aperture is in a different location.

What's the price for a VIEGEL instrument, part No. 62 12 8 080 070 packaging and postage to Australia? (The diff ratio on my machine is 35:9).

PeeVee
Mark Huggett

Post by Mark Huggett »

You will find all this information on our home page.
62 12 8 080 070 costs CHF 191.50 (about AUD 214.56)
A 2kg economy packet to oz costs CHF 47.00
We charge a flat rate of CHF 10.00 for processing, packaging, customs documentation etc per shipment.