r50 ou r60/5 ?? help please

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
mario

r50 ou r60/5 ?? help please

Post by mario »

I've found a r50 and a r60/5 for purchase: which shall I buy. both in pristine conditions, up and running daily.
help please, never had a bmw before

J'ai trouve une r50 et une r60/5 a acheter: la-quelle doiv'je selectionner?
je n'ai jamais eu une bmw de cette epoque!
Allan Atherton

Re: r50 ou r60/5 ?? help please

Post by Allan Atherton »

Is the R50 a /2 or a /5?

If both bikes are /5s, the difference in engine size is less important than the maintenanance history and present condition of the bike.

If the R50 is a /2, then the bikes are very different. The choice may be a matter of preference for the old style or the new style. In addition to history and condition, you need to consider that the R60/5 engine is more durable and easier to rebuild, and signficantly more powerful than the R50/2. However, the R60/5 engine had the highest compression ratio of any BMW and may ping even on 93 octane gas.
Ron Cichowski

Post by Ron Cichowski »

I'd definitely buy both. :>) One can never have too many motorcycles.
mario

Post by mario »

thanks for the answers. two too much for me, I'll go and check the R50 (/2 or /5 I do not know??). the R50 appears in good conditions by photo, but lacks the white decos on tank and mudflaps; the handlebar also looks too high comapred with bmw archive photos. I'll talk to owner and see how things stand. Be back to you on friday.
thanks friend for your help and advice
Aztecrix

Post by Aztecrix »

With all do respect, go for the r50, not only a pleasant way of surfing the streets with style, it´s almost legendary reliable (only if used regulary, oil changes, and slingers cleaned every now and then). I´ve had my share of BMrs and those old black ladies are among the best. Nevertheless any boxer BMW is a good choice if it is well treated.

Aztecrix from Mexico.