BMW R51/3 Petrol Tank Sealer;

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Michael Steinmann

BMW R51/3 Petrol Tank Sealer;

Post by Michael Steinmann »

Hello to all. I need tank seal material, on epoxy basis (not "Kream");
Does anyone know if it is possible to get the stuff at this site's shop? I could not find any. Is it possible and legal to ship it overseas? What else do I need for this project? I intend to clean the tank with old nut and a bit of sand, rinse thoroughly with lots of hot water and soap, then rinse with paint thinner and finally use chloric acid to eliminate any rust remains. Is there any etch primer to be involved before sealer is applied? Can I use normal etch primer from the automotive paint section? Thank in advance for any info.
Micha.
vintage42

Re: BMW R51/3 Petrol Tank Sealer;

Post by vintage42 »

I am not familiar with epoxy coatings. I did use urethane POR-15 in 1999 on a tank and it served well until I sold the tank in 2006. The tank was painted and striped, and I was afraid of damaging the paint, so I did no preparation except to rinse the tank with some acetone. It was difficult to seal the openings, and it was only later that I heard of the tip to cover the paint with bearing grease. So I cannot describe the use of the POR-15 kit, as I only applied the final urethane coating.

This page shows the POR-15 kit, with downloadable instructions:
http://www.por15.com/Cycle-Tank-Repair- ... tegory=170
This page shows the kit with an extra chemical for removing old coatings:
http://www.por15.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1517/.f

One thing I remember from the POR-15 instructions is the need to dry the tank thoroughly. The acid etches are water-based, and are not removed by solvents. Moisture remains in the seams of the tank, and if the seams are covered by a coating, the moisture will be trapped in the seams. POR-15 recommended discharging a hair dryer into the tank overnight.