Colour scheme for R69

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Philip Vergison

Colour scheme for R69

Post by Philip Vergison »

I have recently purchased a 1958 model R 69 painted in the traditional black colour with the correct pinstripes. I'm contemplating a strip down/rechrome etc so that its appearance matches its performance and am wondering whether any of these models were released in a colour or colours OTHER than black? The white scheme is a possibility but not if it was not in teh catalogue in the first instance.

Thanks for any feedback.

PeeVee
92pmg

Re: Colour scheme for R69

Post by 92pmg »

Hi Philip,
I have seen special order machines in green (German police) red and dark blue, with the 1958 Geneva show R26 in (silver?) - see "BMW Twins and Singles" by Roy Bacon, p.41 & 42. Pub.Osprey Publishing 1982, ISBN 0-85045-470-0 None of them look as striking and distinctive as the original black though. Even the "negative" scheme of white with black lining doesn't do the trick. I hope you make the right decision. Gerry.
Philip Vergison

Post by Philip Vergison »

Thanks for your encouragement Gerry.

I made up my mind about it over the weekend. The tank is with the painter now with the instruction to paint it in the traditional colours of black with white pinstripes.

PeeVee
92pmg

Post by 92pmg »

I'm glad you have chosen the original black livery, but if you have any doubts do click on www.ulismotorradladen.de/gallery Some of those weird and wonderful BMW variations will keep you at your pc for hours!

Good luck,

Gerry