Markings on the fly wheel of BMW R26

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
yjr32

Markings on the fly wheel of BMW R26

Post by yjr32 »

I am new to the German bikes. I don’t have any literature on these. I am now restoring a BMW R26, 1960 model, with serial No. 366198. I want to set the ignition timing correctly. What are the markings I see (through the window opening) on the flywheel and what do they indicate?

Thanks
Janardhana Rao.
92pmg

Re: Markings on the fly wheel of BMW R26

Post by 92pmg »

Hello again Janardhana,

It really is important you acquire a copy of the BMW Workshop Manual - contact Mark Huggett.

The three maks you see are: "OT" indicates Top Dead Centre,beneath that "S" is to set the static timing (points just opening), and under that "F", fully advance timing, best checked with a strobe light while the engine is running. The advance is controlled by the two bob-weight springs on the advance/retard unit on the nose of the crankshaft.

Gerry
yjr32

Re: Markings on the fly wheel of BMW R26

Post by yjr32 »

Hello Gerry,

Before posing my query to the forum, I brought the piston of my R 26 to TDC observing its position through the spark plug hole and found the marking on the fly wheel tallying with a mark that looked like “01”. Because it was physically tallying I presumed it as TDC. I now know it as “OT”. Then I guessed a timing advance of 4 mm before the TDC in compression stroke for static ignition and that position tallied with “S”. I fixed the static timing at that point. Later I checked with a strobe whether the centrifugal timing advance is working and found it working. Probably I haven’t revved the engine to be able to notice “F” or to be honest I never looked for that point as I haven’t expected it. Now I know my guess and presumptions are right. Thank you very much for the information.

I posed another question to know how to get at the neutral switch in the gear box as the neutral indicator is mal functioning. I will be grateful if you can through some light on this.

I have already ordered for a BMW Workshop Manual on amazon.com and it is expected any time.

Thanking you once again,

Janardhana Rao.