/2 US version front fork

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
mioposto

/2 US version front fork

Post by mioposto »

In need some information from a knowledgeable Beemer guy... My /2 US fork 67' needs an entire front fork, would the /5 1971 model be the same thus, would work & interchangeble. Thank you very much! Reuben
vintage42

Re: /2 US version front fork

Post by vintage42 »

I think the forks are interchangeable. The /5 internal piston has an additional oil hole to soften the action, a 3-piece bushing vs 1-piece to reduce stiction, and a better bearing adjustment and locking system. These are upgrades that don't affect the fit.

I am not sure if the /5 forks can carry the US fender brace and fender, even if yours are intact.

While doing this, be sure to get the roller bearings and the adapters to fit them to the steering post - Bench Mark Works has them.
mioposto

Post by mioposto »

Thank you much! I'm hoping the front fender of the /2 will fit on the /5 suspension housing it does look the same though, the mounting screw holes that is...
vintage42

Post by vintage42 »

If by /2 fender you mean Earles fork, that fender will not fit the telescopic fork. The telescopic US forks have their own fender. Here's my US fork bike and a spare fender:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roundel/se ... 098524282/