Top 3 rust prone parts, tackling rust inside tubings and info tag..

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Jon Olisa

Top 3 rust prone parts, tackling rust inside tubings and info tag..

Post by Jon Olisa »

What do you call that headlamp holder with an ear that is prone to rust fromthe insides to the outer limits. How much do they weight, to mail Mr. Huggett? I know i can reconstruct them but if
they dont cost an arm and a leg...
what are the top 3 rust prone parts that needs thorough check even with paint on them? lastly, is there a way to clean the inner tubes of rust ,to prevent them from further converting the steel to dust? Lastly, is there a company that reproduces that bike info tag made of alloy?! sheet on the front frame?

thanks
Jon

thanks
Allan Atherton

Re: Top 3 rust prone parts, tackling rust inside tubings and info tag..

Post by Allan Atherton »

You may be refering to the headlight brackets, which are listed in the website catalog for 72 CHF or about 50 USD, each. To mail them would cost about 30 USD.

Depending on which bike you have, the most expensive rust place is on an R27 under the top edges of the knee pads on the tank. Water gets trapped here and always rusts holes in the tank. Tanks are very expensive to repair or replace.

On all the old bikes, the metal reinforcing and wiring channel on the the underside of rear fender trap dirt and hold moisture, causing eventual rust. And the roller edges of the fenders also trap dirt and moisture, resulting in rust after many years. If you can see rust on any painted surface, it may have bitten deeply, which you can test by poking with a sharp point. Often, you can poke all the way through. When this metal is bead blasted, it will become very thin and perforated like lace. Be careful about poking the rust on someone else's bike!

If your tire inner tubes are rusty, you should steel wool and wax the inside of the wheel rims, then replace the inner tubes, which are probably very old.

I don't know about new blank vehicle ID number tags for the front fork.
jon

Post by jon »

Thanks, Allan..i should have specified rust inside steel tubes as of the bike frame's..
Allan Atherton

Post by Allan Atherton »

I have never heard of rust inside the frame of a motorcycle. It is not a problem.