Koni dampers for BMW R50

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Peter Barnett

Koni dampers for BMW R50

Post by Peter Barnett »

Does anyone know the original quantity and grade of oil for the Koni dampers for a BMW R50?

Many thanks
Peter Barnett
Allan Atherton

Re: Koni dampers for BMW R50

Post by Allan Atherton »

Having rebuilts the shocks on two R69S bikes with new Koni dampers, and the shocks on one R27 keeping the old dampers which I think are Boge, I think all these dampers are sealed units. After destroying a couple of them in removal, I see no way into them.

If you have a 1968-1969 US model bike with telescopic forks, I would use BMW fork oil which is probably 7.5W.
Mark Huggett

Post by Mark Huggett »

BMW only fitted BOGE shock inserts on the swing arm models. KONI were pirate parts or aftermarket.
The original BOGE inserts from the 1955 till about 1958 were open units with a screw cap like the KONIs are today. These could be serviced, valves and seals replaced and topped up with oil again. From 1958 onwards, the BOGE shock inserts were sealed units and unservicable i.e. chuck them away and buy new.

Will try and find out details on oil etc.

Best regards,

Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH
Peter Barnett

Post by Peter Barnett »

Mark,
I definately have Koni dampers on my R50. After many miles they now have no damping for the initial 5 to 10 mm of movement. This does not happen if I increase the damping half a turn but then the ride is harder than I would like.
I would like to know the correct quantity and grade of oil so I can try an oil change and would appreciate if you could help me.
Many Thanks
Peter Barnett