R50 airfilter and carburator main jets

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Michele Varcasia

R50 airfilter and carburator main jets

Post by Michele Varcasia »

dear friends,
I have a R50 1960 (not a /2 , but one of the last R50s) , with the following items on it:

Paper (micromic) Air filter with sliding choke (old BMW N° 0043033)
Carburators 1/24/149 - 150 with main jet 120
(BMW N° 13 11 0 039 073 / 4)

Is this combination correct ? do I need to change the main jet ?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Michele
Drew Daniels

Re: R50 airfilter and carburator main jets

Post by Drew Daniels »

The 1/24/149-150 carburetors are 1967 vintage and the 120 main jet was used with the larger non-choke air cleaner. The105 jet is listed for the early R-50 as well as for the R-50/2 through 1966. My 1966 R-50 with a choke is running fine with a 110 main jet.

Does anyone know if the only difference in the carburetors from 1/24/131 through the 1/24/149 series is the size of the main jet? The needle and idle jets seem to be the same.
Michele Varcasia

Post by Michele Varcasia »

Drew,
If am not wrong , I understand that you have my same combination of carbs (149 -150) and airfilter (paper with choke) , and it runs well with 110 main jet . Ok, I will try soon your advice . Please , which is you jetneedle position ? ( the setting of the holes in the needle is fom top to down or viceversa? )
Thanks also to Rolf, who says actually the same.
Michele
rolf

Post by rolf »

from top to down(first hole - needle position 1)position 2 and so on raised the needle.
greetings
rolf
Drew Daniels

Post by Drew Daniels »

I have the older carbs (1/24/131-132) but otherwise You are correct, paper filter with choke and 110 main jets. The needle is in the third hole as originally called for.

Other than the main jets, I don't know what the difference is between the /131 carbs and the /149 carbs. Rolf, do you know?

Good luck,
Drew
rolf

Post by rolf »

I have to look.
Normally all these carbs only differs by the jet size(105-120), the last (149-150) also by the swimmer(?)needle(??)[swimmer:these brass ball, needle:which stops the fuel flows in (first).
I have to look, if only the last serie has the new type.I will write you tomorrow.
rolf
Drew Daniels

Post by Drew Daniels »

The new style carb top has been called a "lever top". The float moves a lever which controls the flow rather than having the needle of the valve mounted to the float. From the outside, the old style tops have the fuel hose connected to the center of the top. The new lever tops have the fuel hose offset to the side.

Thanks for the information,
Drew
rolf

Post by rolf »

hallo drew,
your 24/131/132 carbs had an other jetneedle(type 46-255) as the 149/150(46-255 5).I do not know how to see by eyes only the difference(perhaps anyone of the forum knows?)The rest must be the same (ecept mainjet of course).
rolf