electronic ignition

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Pierre Michaud

electronic ignition

Post by Pierre Michaud »

I will be converting shortly my R69S to 12 volt 280 watt alternator system. I have heard that electronic ignition is available on these /5 systems. Boyer/Bransdon MK3 and Dyno III are two systems I have seen advertized in magazines. Can these be used on a converted R69S? Will it function with magneto and original coil? Anyone that has done this conversion, please give me any details that will allow me to weigh my options.
David

Re: electronic ignition

Post by David »

Hey Pierre,

I've recently converted my /6 to a DYNA III.
And it works fine.
The same goes for the /5.
Although be aware that your coils won't last forever !!!
If they are in a very good shape, you'll be able to use them for 20.000 - 30.000 km
If in bad condition meaby 5.000 km.
Watch out I've seen them explode(only once on the 15 BMW's I know with Electronic Ignition)
This can easily be solved by replacing them with the appropriate DINA coils.
I don't know the exact type but if you contact JANTJE SMITH POWERPARTS in Amsterdam, he'll be able to tell you more

Good luck,
David
Pierre Michaud

Post by Pierre Michaud »

David,
Thanks for feedback. In the interim, the guys from DYNATECK emailed me to say that the /5 EI kit would not fit on the /2's even though I converted to a/5 12 volt alternator. Also, since I want to keep the magneto feature this would pose an additional problem if they indeed had the proper EI for my /2. So I guess Pentacomm points are my best option at this point or maybe I will just keep the original Bosh system as the latter points and condensers are still readily available.

Regards,

Pierre
John Stock

Post by John Stock »

I have fitted a Boyer Double outlet coil to my 1959 R60. It involves a home made reluctor to fit on the end of the cam shaft
amd the pick up sensor mounted on a moving plate . The smoothness and power increase is brilliant. Would recommend it as amagneto replacement