Synchronometer adapter

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Philip Jones

Synchronometer adapter

Post by Philip Jones »

From J.C. Whitney in the US I recently purchased what Roland Slabon recommended in his book about restoring my 1958 BMW R60, a Carburetor Synchronizer, # 88-2792N for about $25. He recommended that I ask for adapter #25 for the R60, which I requested and J.C. Whitney said they couldn't get. Nor could they give me any info on how to get it. The documentation that comes with the Synchronizer, which I have received, doesn't say who makes the unit or how to contact them. I've searched and searched the Internet to no avail. I know the company that produces the unit is headquartered in. Can you please give me the email/phone/address of the German company that makes the Synchronometer, so I can request the #25 adapter for the R60? Or do you sell it? Thanks, Philip Jones
Jeffery L. Yost

Re: Synchronometer adapter

Post by Jeffery L. Yost »

Greetings Phillip!

You do not need the #25 adaptor.

I purchased TWO Synchronometers. I also worried about the illusive #25 adaptors. However, the Synchronometer works just fine with the rubber adaptor that is included.

The tapered end fits over the Bing, while the meter remains attached, giving a perfect seal, and lets you work hands free!

My recommendation? Purchase another Synchronometer for easier balancing of your Bings. Besides, two Synchronometers will impress the heck out of your friends.

I wrote a story about the rescuing my dad's R50 from 17 years of storage at
http://www.greatanswers.com/vbmw/yost.htm
This story with photographs is a tribute to my late father and the wonderful BMW boxer.

Good Luck!

Jeffery L. Yost
Walled Lake, (near The Motor City) Michigan
USA
Philip Jones

Re: Synchronometer adapter

Post by Philip Jones »

Jeffrey,
Thanks for your fast response -- and the link to the terrific article you wrote about restoring your dad's R50. An inspiration to us all.
I'm glad to hear about the fit of the included adapter; I've already ordered the other synchronizer, which is on backorder. But I won't be able to think of tuning the carbs for at least a month anyway, while my tank and front and rear fenders are being painted and stripped.
By the way, have you now added the Hella barends? That's my plan, too, but for mirrors I'm not sure. I have a couple machined aluminum adapters from Bobs that fit between the rubber grips and the barends and will accept 8mm stems from Alberts (which are virtually impossible to find). I might try to use Napoleon AP-104s but they're certainly not a perfect fit. On my 1958 R60 there were no threaded holes in the left-hand clutch or right-hand front brake grips. How are you doing both Hella bar-ends and mirrors? Philip