R25/3 ignition system

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Ben Friedl

R25/3 ignition system

Post by Ben Friedl »

Hi Mark,

My r25/3 is fitted with a noris ZLZ 45/60 ignition system. According to the book it should be fitted with the noris ZLZ 60/6/1600L. What do the numbers mean?. When I test the field coils, with an ammeter inserted between the 61 terminal and the + battery post I get a reading of 1.4 amps, the magnetism "feels" about the same at all four coils. According to the book I should get a reading of 1.6 amps. Does the 0.2 amp difference represent a fault?
Just about ever thing including the ignition coil is coated in shellac, is it just a simple lacquer resin? and if not do you have the stuff?

Many thanks
Ben
Mark Huggett

Re: R25/3 ignition system

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Ben

Sorry, but I can't comment on the 0,2 amp difference. Maybe one of those auto-electrician freaks out there can help you.
The R25/2 had a ZLZ 45/60 generator with the regulator lying on the side. As of chassis no. 251157, they were fitted with a ZLZ 45/60/2L were the regulator is in a standing position. This was used on the R25/3 as well up till chassis no. 286497 when the generator was replaced by ZLZ 60/6/1600L. The latter designation means that the generator delivers 60 watts at 1600 rpm.

Hope that this info has helped you.

Best regards,

Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH
Ben Friedl

Post by Ben Friedl »

Thanks for that info mark,

It seems like my machine is fitted with an earlier generator than it should have. By the look of the bracket the regulator sits side-ways. What ever the case I'm going to have to service it.The original regulator is non existant, it was replaced by an external one. Will the electronic regulator fit inside this generator, and if so, must any of the other components be changed because it is electronic. I've read that the number one field coil must be replaced, is this correct?

Thanks Mark
Ben

Mark Huggett

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Ben,

Our electronic voltage regulators are so constructed that the take the place of the old mechanical regulator, and there are no modifications to be carried out. Instructions are delivered with the regulator, which is connected up as the original.
If your machine has been fitted with an external regulator, and you wish to bring it back to original with the regulator mounted on the generator, it might be worth your while ordering a new wiring harness for your R25/3.

Best regards,

Mark
Mark Huggett GmBH
Ben Friedl

Post by Ben Friedl »

Hi Mark,

Yes I was going to order a new loom as a matter of course. Does it also come with fitting instructions?. Also I notice in your catalouge that most of the harnesses come in two parts. Does the harness for the r25/3 include the tail light section?

Thanks
Ben