Race angle and plastic cage bearings

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
damien clement

Race angle and plastic cage bearings

Post by damien clement »

Hi Mark !

Say, is the note of yours about plastic cage bearings, and race angle, on the pinion of the bevel gears also true for singles such as R 26 ?

The fact, is that I've just remplaced all these bearings.
The cylinder roller bearing NJ 2204 (it seems that N 2204 didn't existe any more) I mounted had a plastic cage. I don't remember if the 3303 I used had also a plastic cage, but for sure it's a standard 35 degrees race angle, according to FAG's specifications.
What should I expect ?

But the fact is that I use plastic cage cylinder roller bearings on the crankshaft for years, and freinds of mine do it too, without noticing any troubles. On the contrary, it's quiter, less wear, and so on.

Sincerly yours,
damien

Re: List of all bearings for R69S
Written by: Mark Huggett on 29/9/2001 07:18 GMT
(...)However, you must be very carefull on certain bearings eg. the 3304 on the pinion of the bevel gears. Standard bearings have a ball race angle of 30 degrees and plastic cage which will not last 2000km. The 3304 used by BMW is non standard nowadays, has a steel cage and 45 degree race angle. There are a few such examples which turn out costly in the end when the mechanic is trying to save a few bucks.
Best regards,
Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH