Centre stud/Valve cover

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Pierre Michaud

Centre stud/Valve cover

Post by Pierre Michaud »

Mark,
I am now starting to overhaul the engine on my R69S (1968). The previous owner changed the stud going through the valve cover at the centre on the left side. The stud is not metric ??? but is very close to M10. He drilled a larger hole on the head to accept this oversize "stud" and from what I can make out re-threaded the head to accomodate latter. Having said this, I noticed that when I removed the stock stud (M8 x 50) on the other side that the threads on the head appear to be a helix insert! Could it be that this helix insert is original and perhaps it was damaged on the other side and removed by previous owner leaving the original threading that is required for the helix coil insert intact!. If so, do you have the helix specs that fits in this threaded hole?
Mark Huggett

Re: Centre stud/Valve cover

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hello Pierre
The M8 studs were screwed directly into the aluminium cylinder head. BMW never used inserts, so these must have been from a previous repair job.
If you would like an M8 insert to repair the other side, I can include one in your last order.

Best regards,

Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH
Pierre Michaud

Re: Centre stud/Valve cover

Post by Pierre Michaud »

Mark,

Please include two (2) M8 inserts with my last order (any special instructions for fitting them would be appreciated. I will have them inserted by a machine shop. Tyhanks again.