R26 clutch operation

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Pablo Prato

R26 clutch operation

Post by Pablo Prato »

My R26, 1959, run good, but when it works 15 or 20 minutes, the clutch sistem don't cut out, and is it impossible to go down to the neutral position.
Allan Atherton

Re: R26 clutch operation

Post by Allan Atherton »

I would check the cable adjustment first. There should be only a little free play of the handlebar lever, so that the adjustment is "tight". Perhaps the lever on the rear of the transmission needs to be adjusted first so that the adjuster on the handlebar is not screwed out too far. A tight adjustment will mean that the clutch rod, which goes through the transmission to the clutch, is being pushed forward the maximum distance to disengage the clutch.
If the cable is adjusted properly and the problem still occurs, then perhaps the front end of the clutch rod has worn down and the rod has been shortened, or perhaps the clutch is contaminated with dirt and oil which could bind it together. But contamination usually makes the clutch become stuck only when cold.

In any case, if adjusting the cable does not help, I think you will have to remove the transmission and look at the rod and the clutch.