steib sidecar brake

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
rick marsh

steib sidecar brake

Post by rick marsh »

Has anyone tried to convert a /2 bmw front brake to fit on a TR500 BMW special sidecar
Rolf

Re: steib sidecar brake

Post by Rolf »

No, and it is also not very useful to have a Duplex brake on the the sidecar.
Have you ever ridden a sidecar who has brakes which are better than the cycle brakes?
Remenber, the cycle has a duplex and a rear brake but its weight is 100kg more.
If you brake, the sidecar brakes more,, very funny to get in a right turn without a curve.
rolf
gurkha

Post by gurkha »

Not a good idea as rolf says, you would probably land up in a ditch , or someones front garden.
vintage42

Post by vintage42 »

Direct this question to the Steib Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Steib/.
Several people there have braked sidecars. I think they use Steib hubs. One person made a hydraulic linkage. Most people agree that brakes are desirable on a large outfit, and they can be made to work well.
jack t stahl

Post by jack t stahl »

HI, i have a hollandia outfit,and came across a brake backing plate THAT fit w/shoes . i must qualify that statement. the axle had been cut down to allow a /2
wheel-hub to be used. strength was a concern,but i have field tested this in cruel+unusual ways.pluses are the trunk spare now works with all the wheels, the brake unit was off a honda late 80s civic-as i remember? it has a e/brake that i shaved off.this is a hydraulic brake unit! also i used a wilwood adjustable proportioning valve.tailoring for weight as the rear brake now works the sidecar brake as well.a guzzi master cylinder w/remote reservoir was used with a modified linkage, hooked it all together. hope this is some use! jack.