Gas Tank Thread Repair/Seal

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
J. Stracco

Gas Tank Thread Repair/Seal

Post by J. Stracco »

Can anyone recommend a method of the repairing the outlet threads on a gas tank with out replacing the entire neck?
The threads on my tank are quite shallow, so I'm worried about them sealing correctly.
Is there a sealant/treadlocker/gasket maker I can use to assure a good seal, yet won't dissolve in the petrol?

Thanks in Advance!
Dave Thomas

Re: Gas Tank Thread Repair/Seal

Post by Dave Thomas »

Hi J.,

I've had good luck over the years with teflon tape (the white stuff commonly used on household plumbing).
I've used it on fuel lines, brake lines, coolant lines, etc., on cars and motorcycles. 2 to 4 wraps will
usually do the job. An added advantage is that future removal is easier. If your threads are worn down
be careful not to overtighten. Loctite also makes a "thread restoration" product that I've used with good
results, but I think it may be intended more for internal threads, like stud holes in an engine block,
rather than external threads.

Good luck!

Dave
Mark Huggett

Re: Gas Tank Thread Repair/Seal

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Jeff

We have new threaded glands to be brazed in place of the old one. They have an M20 x 1 thread as the machines from 1954 onwards. These are standard repair replacement parts from "Karcoma" who make the petcocks. We don't have these listed in our catalogue, but you can ask for it anyway.

Best regards,

Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH