generator reconditioning

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Pierre Michaud

generator reconditioning

Post by Pierre Michaud »

Mark,
I need to recondition my R69S generator. I am using parts from 2 used generators. The rotor I am retaining does not have the seven or eight turns of string securing??? the wires extending from the windings that are soldered to the periphery of the small end of rotor. This string was covered in shellac, dried up and eventually disintegraded with age. Do I need to lay and wind a new string and if so, what type. Also, can I put any kind of shellac over latter and over copper windings?
Mark Huggett

Re: generator reconditioning

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Pierre,
Sorry but I can't help you here. We give all our generators and parts to a local workshop who rewind, recondition etc. The owner (old tradesman) will not let out any of his secrets.
Maybe some other readers can help.

Regards

Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH
Allan Atherton

Post by Allan Atherton »

Try this place:
Motorrad Elektrik
Birmingham, Alabama, US
205-442-8886
motoelekt@aol.com
Rick Jones
Pierre Michaud

Post by Pierre Michaud »

Thanks Allan. Ed Korn suggested I use similar type thread and smother it with epoxy resin. Makes sense so thjis is what I am going to do. I will e-mail your contact however to find out why these loops of string were put there in the first place!
Ben Friedl

Post by Ben Friedl »

Hi Pierre,

If you need some good advise on the electrics, get in touch with Kees van der Heiden."case@royal.net" He has helped me on a number of occasions.
His site is also rather informative.WWW.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3213/

Hope that helps
Ben Friedl