Noisy Valve Clatter

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
jeffatalley

Noisy Valve Clatter

Post by jeffatalley »

I have a 1969 R60/2 and have adjusted my valves twice, and still get a ticking from my right side exhaust valve.

I am sure that a) the engine was cold b) the head and rocker were torqued correctly c) the clearances were set to spec.

Does anyone have an idea why this valve is still noisy? Thanks!
92pmg

Re: Noisy Valve Clatter

Post by 92pmg »

Two things spring to mind.
Check the vertical play of the rockers. It should be minimal with the rockers free to rotate. The shafts are a press fit into their mounting blocks therefore can be adjusted with care.
A not uncommon problem is a valve spring fouling the inside of a rocker arm. Increase the gap with the insertion of equal thickness washers under the rocker mounting blocks. Insert one set at a time, torque up the cylinder head, adjust the valve clearance and check the gap. I have two thicknesses of spacer washers on my R50 with no problems. There should be plenty of room between the rockers and the cover with each valve fully open.

Are the valve guides in good condition? They do wear.

Good luck.

Gerry
jeffatalley

Post by jeffatalley »

Thanks Gerry.

Would I use ordinary washers tounder the rocker mounting blocks?
92pmg

Post by 92pmg »

Yes, use ordinary, good quality flat washers, but ensure the fit snuggly under the posts so as not to foul the rocker cover. Before tightening the cylinder head bolts, offer the rocker assembly up to ensure the spring/ rocker arm gap is sufficient. As I say, I had to fit two washers under each post for the spring/ rocker clearance to be adequate on my R50, but then then my machine has covered an exceptionally high mileage.
vintage42

Post by vintage42 »

If a valve spring is fouling the inside of a rocker arm, does not that indicate severe valve seat recession (wear)? If washers are added, will not that allow the seat to recess (wear) to the point that the remnant of the seat may fall out and damage the cylinder?
Rather than add washers, it may be time to replace the valve seats.
Daniel Andrada

Post by Daniel Andrada »

could be tappets and tappets guide are worn out and need to be replaced.
vintage42

Post by vintage42 »

I have not heard of tappets (lifters) becoming worn and causing noise. I have both refaced and replaced some lifters whose faces became pitted, but this is not the wear to which you refer.
Daniel Andrada

Post by Daniel Andrada »

I am referring to worn out cylinder walls of the tappets guide which can cause excessive side play of the tappets.
Max40

Post by Max40 »

is there any end play in the rocker shaft?
this can cause a tick