R26 or R25/3

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Gerald Ancia

Re: R26 or R25/3

Post by Gerald Ancia »

Dear Mark,

Thank you for the prompt reply. The frame number plate on the front of the bike has been lost (or removed). Is there any other way to check the frame number?

Would you know any website where info on frame number is available?

Thank you

Gerald
Gerald Ancia

R26 or R25/3

Post by Gerald Ancia »

I have found a BMW. The engine number is 292397. From what I remember R26 started at the number 340001 (which would mean that it is a R25/3). However the frame looks like the one of a R26 (fork). The plate has been removed. Can you please confirm that it is a R25/3?

This info used to be readily available on the web although I cannot find anymore! Once again if you can help?

Thank you for your help

Gerald
Mark Huggett

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Gerald

BMW Frame and Motor numbers should be identical.
R25/3 has the numbers 284001 to 331705
R26 has the numbers 340005 to 370242

Best regards,

Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH
Mark Huggett

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Gerald.
You can never go by the badge on the steering head. The frame number is stamped on the steering head on the right hand side as you are sitting on the bike. If you cannot find it, It is probably covered by very thick paint or has been removed or filled up.
In worst case, send me a photo or sketch showing engine mounts with a few measurements eg. distance between the rear suspension tube clamps.

Regards,

Mark
christian mues

Post by christian mues »

The easiest way to distinguish an R25/3 from an R26 would be to look at which side of the cylinder the spark plug sits: On the R25/3 it is the left side (as you sit on the bike), whereas it is on the right side of the R 26 engine.