The bike is complete but has been stored
for 30 years It needs total restoration
Thanks. Greg canine@webbernet.net
PS. Im in detroit Michigan USA
Mark Huggett

Re: BMWR 26

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Greg

I would estimate that your R26 is a late 1959 model by the number. The last R26 was produced in early 1960 and had the number 370 242. Maybe some other readers may like to give you an idea on value as I can't. Prices vary greatly from country to country and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A bargain for one is a rip-off for another.

Best regards,

Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH
Allan Atherton

Post by Allan Atherton »

Hi Greg,
The value of an old bike can vary greatly depending on condition, and total restoration can mean different things. I recently obtained an R27 with only 3,000 miles for free - it had zero value because it had been stored with a seized piston, outdoors in the sand under a beach house for 10 years, and needed that term "total restoration". The restoration is now nearing completion, all the costs are now known, and total restoration in this case means over $9K to get the bike looking and running in completely new condition. If you have Excel, I can email you a file of the costs from which you could work up a budget for your restoration.
Gerald

Post by Gerald »

I have myself a R26 in Vietnam (as well as a R 50). We are facing great problems to get the parts over here. I would be very interested in this spreadsheet. I would like to order the parts we can not find in Vietnam and pick them up during my next trip to Europe. For this reason, I'd like to budget the cost.

Can you help? Thnks in advance.

Gerald
Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas »

Greg, I'm completing a restoration on a '59 R26 right now. I purchased it 2 years ago, and it had been restored by BMW Motorrad in St. Louis about 15 years earlier, but trashed by the owner. It was however very complete. I paid $1K for it, and I'll have about another $3K in it when I'm done, but I'm guessing it will be worth about $5-6K. I've seen restorable R26s in the last 6 months ranging from $800 to $1800. Let me know if I can provide you with any further information.