Denfeld "M-27" Saddlebags Available?

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
J. Stracco

Denfeld "M-27" Saddlebags Available?

Post by J. Stracco »

Does anyone know if Denfeld "M-27" Saddlebags are being reproduced?

These are the deep pannier type, usually brown/black, and very military looking. To the
casual observer, they were virtually identical to WW2 era Wehrmacht bags, although I
doubt that the mounting hardware was the same as for a /2.

They were often used by the police. They had a leather handle on top two buckle straps
on the side and were lockable. I believe the mounts also allowed them to pop off the
bike and be used as a "briefcase". They were available from the American BMW importer
Butler and Smith as late as the early 1970's

I have attached a fuzzy picture from the Butler and Smith Catalog, which happened
to be on Ebay. The M27 bags are the second set down on the right. They are also
pictured in Roland Slabon's book "How to Restore your BMW Motorcycle" in the chapter
covering accessories and in several other places.

If they are not being reproduced, does anyone know of used stock or NOS or where
I might find a set of the mounting hardware for a /2 to buy or copy?

Bob Groves

Re: Denfeld

Post by Bob Groves »

I've seen these advertised, I believe, in the Bob's BMW vintage catalog. Check out, I think,
www.BMWBOBs.com.
Mark Huggett

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Jeff

We've got the bags in stock. The original part number is 71 60 1 234 030, and they cost CHF 240.00 each. As usual, we have only the best quality.

Best regards,

Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH
Allan Atherton

Re: Mounts for Denfeld bags?

Post by Allan Atherton »

Mark,
How are the Denfeld bags mounted on the bike? Does one need to hang them from the luggage rack on top of the fender? Can they be mounted with a bench seat and rear folding rack in place?
J. Stracco

Post by J. Stracco »

Mark-

Thanks for your quick reply. I looked at the JPG which you sent me a while
back. It seems to depict the M-23 bags rather than th M-27 bags.
The M-23 bags are pictured in the upper right of the JPG included in my first post.
Are these the bags you are selling, or are they merely illustrative?
Will the mounting hardware fit both type of bags? I'd just like to be 100% sure.

Once again, thanks for your excellent service!

-J