unleaded gas for our R50s

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Michele Varcasia

unleaded gas for our R50s

Post by Michele Varcasia »

Dear Mark,
what can I do to use unleaded fuel in my '60 R50?
At the moment, here in Italy , we still have lead gas but in 2000 we must join european community law.
which will be our problems?

Michele
Mark Huggett

Re: unleaded gas for our R50s

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Michele

Regarding R50 cylinderhead modification for lead free fuels. You must replace the valves with new “Stellite” faced valves and the valve seats with either bronze valve seat material or a high chrome alloy. Your local cylinder engineering shop can advise you on what material he has in stock and can also carry out the replacement of the seats. Ferrari use bronze material for the valve seats. In actual fact, Italy is one of the main suppliers of valve seat material. We have manufactured valves with stellited faces for lead free fuels.
Best regards,
Mark Huggett GmbH
Peter Schildhause

Re: unleaded gas for our R50s

Post by Peter Schildhause »

I live in US and leaded is not generally available. I add a gallon of aviation fuel as often
as I can. I have been told that the lead coats valves etc and the effect of the lead lasts
even after the tank is refilled. Airports won't sell aviation fuel unless it is placed into a
plane. Find a friend with a plane and get the fuel out of the plane tank. There is a drain
valve on the bottom of the wing and it is easy to remove the fuel into a storage container