Cleaning slingers

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Pierre Michaud

Cleaning slingers

Post by Pierre Michaud »

Mark,

Is there no other way to clean slingers than to have to take the whole crankcase apart and if so then what minimum tools are required to do the job without screwing up? I am very good mechanicaly but I feel BMW's require more sophisticated tools than the contemporary British Motorcycles which I am used to!

Regards,
Pierre
Allan Atherton

Re: Cleaning slingers

Post by Allan Atherton »

I don't think you can even glimpse the slingers without removing the crankshaft. I watched the crankshaft being removed on my R27, which has one slinger. It was low tech but not easy. The piston must come off of the conn rod. A puller must be used to remove the rear bearing, which leaves a hole big enough to remove the crank. Then to make the block expand and release the crank, the block must be heated in a gas grille. Finally, the crank must be twisted out through the hole in a special position.
Mark Huggett

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Pierre!
Allan described the situation very well. Could'nt have said it better. The motor has to be completely stripped, crankshaft removed and the two 6207 bearings have to be removed before your can remove the slingers for cleaning. Take care not to mix up the spacer and chamfered rings on the crankshaft.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Huggett GmbH
Pierre Michaud

Post by Pierre Michaud »

Thanks guys. You just screwed up my milestones on my restoration project not to mention the tools I will have to purchase to remove the crank. If by some miracle I manage to clean the slingers without doing all this disassembling I will let you know!
Roger Albert

Post by Roger Albert »

Hi Pierre,

> You just screwed up my milestones on my restoration project not to mention the tools

Ah yes, I know the feeling. It set me back 6 months, but it was a good thing I did it.
Mine were about full and the oilpassages about to plug up. Once I realized this had to
be done, I changed the project from an overhaul, to a complete restoration. Took a bit
over a year, but I finally finished it about 2 weeks ago and am very happy with it.

As for Tools, there's a guy here in the states that sells a complete set of tools to do this
fairly reasonably, at least compared to a complete set of factory / Matra tools, which even
for an enthusiast are almost impossible to justify. Ed Korn of Cycle Works. I haven't
used his crank removal tool, but have used many others and have been very happy with
them. edkorn@usa.net or http://www.aetherserv.com/cycleworks/.

Craig Vechorik's help with the slingers, Ed's help with the Crank rebuild (damaged con-rod)
and tools, and the Mr. Huggett's supplying of the last few vintage bits and pieces are what
made it possible for me to finish at all. Couldn't have done it without any of them.

Just food for thought. Best of luck and keep with it. It will be worth it when its all done.

Regards
Roger Albert
Pierre Michaud

Post by Pierre Michaud »

Roger,

Thanks for response. I had already contacted ED and enquired what tools I need to do this and had prety much enquired around to make sure I could afford it. I will commence only in late spring after finalizing the body/paint work.

Salut,
Pierre
Bryan Mitchell

Post by Bryan Mitchell »

There is NO way to clean slingers without pulling the crank. You may fantisize about pouring some type of high powered solvent into the crankcase and grabbing it with both hands and shaking it briskly for several hours
or design some new fangled tool to reach inside to do it but don't count on it. It would be
like a right handed person using his lelt hand to take out his own tonsils rectally. You can only see the front one. You can't reach or see the rear one while the crank's in the case.
Stephen Ascherl

Post by Stephen Ascherl »

Pierre...Ed Korn's tool is inexpensive, and works quite well. The first time you pull a crank will be a frustrating...by the third its straightforward, and soon you may find that rebuilding the engins is more fun than riding the motorcycle. Follow Ed's instructions especially as regards heating the case. I have never pulled an engine that did not need slingers cleaned, and most cranks will need connecting rod bearings, at least in my experience. If you can rebuild the engine, you will be able to restore some very wore but nevertheless desirable motorcycles...Stephen
Thorsten Franz

Post by Thorsten Franz »

Hi,
While restoring my 1963 R50/2 it came out that the oil slingers were -surprise surprise- clean but partly damaged by somebody who didn't quite know what he was doing. Generally I find it worthwhile considering to purchase new slingers including mounting screws since these parts are still quite affordable. Note that R50, R50/2-50S, R60 and R60/2-69-69S have different oils slingers.
Brgds
Thorsten