R26 Transmission noise after kickstarting.

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Stacey Zabolotney

Post by Stacey Zabolotney »

My R26 makes a terrible "whizzzzzing" noise (like a ratchet) after I kickstart it for the first ride of the day. It eventually goes away after 20 - 30 seconds of riding/shifting. I'm guessing the kickstart ratchet mechanism is somehow not returning back into place? I'd like to know what to look for, before I have to eventually pull it apart. Any help would be great... Thanks.
rolf

Re: R26 Transmission noise after kickstarting.

Post by rolf »

Hallo,
at each temperature(engine and air)?
rolf
Stacey Z

Post by Stacey Z »

Rolf, I'm not sure what you are asking... Hopefully this answers the question...

It only happens when I start it up and the bike hasn't warmed up. The noise of course goes away if the clutch lever is squeezed. It is definately in the tranny, and it is the same noise you'd get if you pushed the kickstart down when the bike is already running (in neutral). It isn't a pretty sound.

s Ta Ce Y
rolf

Post by rolf »

I tried to ask if this noise is only when:
1:temperature is cold(below 2° Celsius)
and the engine also.
If it is: it is only the oil, too cold for your oil (which oil is inside?SAE 80-90?)
If not: you have to open your gearbox and look.
rolf
§ Ý a © e ¥

Post by § Ý a © e ¥ »

Rolf, you are right about the temperature, I have SAE 90 in the tranny and now that it is finally warming up in Vancouver (20°C) the noise is gone. I guess on the colder winter rainy days I should use SAE 80 (as I drive all year long)
damien clement

Post by damien clement »

Might I introduce in the discution ?

Stacey,

It seems you use far to thick oil. Even SAE 80 is a viscosity too strong for the gearbox. (Resulting in bad or no lubrication at low temps; and may be also bad lubrication on some thiny spots any temps.)

Personnaly, for the last twenty two years, I used SAE 15W50 in the engine as well as in the gearbox of my good old R26.
It seems to run correctely, but I'm also open to other advice.

Hope it'll help !
sincerly yours,
damien