your exhaust silencers

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
david bardy

your exhaust silencers

Post by david bardy »

Are the exhaust silencers you sell for the r60 exactly like the OEM pieces? Or do they have a seam on it. Are they stainless or plated carbon steel? Any pictures out there somewhere?
Thanks.
Tom Hagan

Re: your exhaust silencers

Post by Tom Hagan »

David,

I bought a complete exhaust from Mark for my R60/2 2 years ago. The silencers have no visible seams and are plated steel, not stainless. I cannot comment on if they are exact OEM, but the fit is very good, they sound good, and they have no signs of rust, which I understand that the old OEM ones did after this period of time.

Tom
Allan Atherton

Post by Allan Atherton »

I bought a set of mufflers for my R60/2 two years ago also. They are chromed steel and have a good sound. There is no visible seam the length of the mufflers, but there is a smooth welded seam around each end of the straight section. The chrome was good, but one muffler had a little bump that looked like the skin was stretched over an inner baffle. The chrome has now got a crack in it at this little bump. The mufflers have 3000 miles on them and there is no sign of rust (bike is kept inside when not being ridden).
david bardy

Post by david bardy »

Thanks guys, I think I'll get a set. Price seems right.
db
Mark Huggett

Post by Mark Huggett »

Hi Dave

The silencers have the exact shape as the OEM product, infact using a Swiss steel and superior chroming than the OEM. Regarding the seam, both seam and no seam are original. In the late 50s, the welding seam was ground down and polished but thereafter in the early 60s they stopped this. We find that market preferences also change. Up until about 6 years ago, every one wanted seamless silencers, now everybody insists on the seams.