R69S camshaft into R60/2

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Tom Bohacik

R69S camshaft into R60/2

Post by Tom Bohacik »

Mark,

I am thinking of purchasing an R69S camshaft and installing into R60/2. Is this possible? Do I have to change cam followers and pushrods or can I use my R60/2 ones? Has this been done before?

What is the difference between 328 and 344 degree ones? Which one would you recommend? Is the valve lift higher on R69S camshaft compared to R60/2 or is only the dwell and overlap different?

Answer muchly appreciated.

Cheers

Tom Bohacik
Allan Atherton

Re: R69S camshaft into R60/2

Post by Allan Atherton »

I think it will fit, but might have a bad result, which may be the reason that I have never heard of it being done.

The part numbers for the tappets and pushrods and valves for R69S are different from R60/2, so I wonder what happens when an R69S cam connects with the R60/2 valve train.

Even supposing the valve train worked, the R69S camshaft might allow the R60/2 engine to exceed its designed maximum of 5800 rpm and even reach the 7200 max RPM of the R69S. The crankshaft and rear bearing of the R60/2 are not designed for these RPMs and the engine might fail soon.

Finally, the operating feel of the R69S engine is not entirely desirable for all purposes. The R69S engine does not pull strongly at low RPMs like the R60/2 engine. By putting an R69S cam in an R60/2 engine and keeping the RPMs under 5800, you would have the worst characteristics of both engines. You would lose the pulling power of the R60/2 and be unable to use the higher RPMs where the extra HP of the R69S lies.
Brian Caro

Post by Brian Caro »

Be careful retrofitting the R69S cam to the R60/2. The stock one may fit but even the stock R69S cam has more valve overlap and duration than the R60 cam. The R60's lower compression will be adversly affected by this overlap, actually lowering the compression (the valves are open longer during the compression cycle)and reducing performance. If you want a hotter cam, you must increase compression to compensate or you will be running slower than before! These higher lift, longer duration cams may very likely require clearancing of the follower bushings as well, (it happened to me) which means you have to do some careful measuring! The 314 and 328 cams have 1mm more lift than stock and will hit the bushings if you are unlucky. If you want power, jump your compression to about 10-1 and go with the 328 cam, clearance the case, it will go faster, but not as reliably as stock.
Griffouliere Facundo

Post by Griffouliere Facundo »

Tom:

I have a R 60/2 , when I repared it six years ago my mechanic said to me this camshaft is from the R 69, in that opportunity my engine had two cam followers from R69 and two from R60, I changed all because they were very bad and I put four news from R60, with the poushrods I put R 60 ones, my motorcycle run very well, but I don't know if its better or not.

Facundo