bmw R50, 1956

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
I. Schwartz

bmw R50, 1956

Post by I. Schwartz »

just wanted to share with you all a restoration project i did during the last year.
...it all started when i had this strange urge to trade in my other BMW - 1970 R60/5 (BTW- also restored ) for this 1956 R50 (a move i regret until today)

the result is a bit of an innovative one (sorry - i can't stand the black color)
and since i'm a student - the motorcycle was taken apart and stayed in my room in the dormitories for almost a year.
(and to all of you curious people - a bimer cannot pass through a door... with the engine mounted ! )
anyway, it was stripped bare, sand blasted, then resprayd, all bearings changed, and so rubber parts. all the electric harness (6V) was rewired from scratch, the seat was upholstered, screws and shiny parts replated, and tires changed.

all in all it was more of a cosmetical restoration and some minor work (clutch plate and some leaks) on the engine.
lots of fun (and lots of money too...) and a nice experience...

now i'm too broke (student...) so i guess the happy fellow who will buy it from me will just have to replace the exhaust pipes and the seat...

regards,

I. Schwartz

(BTW - it's in Israel...)
eddie

Re: bmw R50, 1956

Post by eddie »

i.s. i also have a 56 50 and a 56 60 . the 60 runs ,when its together and the 50 is an orphen. thanks for the inspiration . eddie