R50, fueltank

Restoration forum Bmwbike.com
Kåre Spilde

R50, fueltank

Post by Kåre Spilde »

I have a R50 with R60/5 engine. Do anyone out there know if this bike will fit a larger "modern" tank(24L), say /7 or similar ?I expect I will have to modify the brakckets/fasteners for the tank ? The bike have dual seat. Regards Kåre
Gerry Douglas-Sherwood

Re: R50, fueltank

Post by Gerry Douglas-Sherwood »

Hi Kare, I think you will have great difficulty fitting a post-'69 tank to your pre-'69 frame, mainly because the fittings and the tank dimensions are so different. Would it not be easier to find a larger pre-'69 tank (say for the US market) to bolt straight on to your frame? This would appear the obvious solution of a larger capacity is all you require.
Allan Atherton

Re: R50, fueltank

Post by Allan Atherton »

I understand you have a /2 conversion and want to put the large /5-/7 tank on it.
Essentially you want to put a /5 tank on a /2. If it was possible, surely it would be common to see, because the large /5 tank is cheaper and more available than the large /2 tank. Yet, I have never seen or heard of doing this. Perhaps there is a major incompatibiity at the front of the tank, or under the tank, that cannot be solved with the rear bracket.